Checking Over My Shoulder

Sunday, May 22, 2005

21 May 2005

Today's sermon was the last in a series about the Psalms. The pastor chose Psalm 119, and of course the subject was Bible study, and its value.

Here are his suggestions for daily devtional study:

1. Choose a short passage.
2. Pray for God's leading as you study the passage.
3. Read the passage outloud.
4. Ask yourself the question, "What does this tell me about God or Jesus?" and jot it down in a notebook.
5. Ask youself, "What does this tell me about how to treat people?"
6. Ask, "What does God tell me to do today?" in this passage?
7. Memorize part or all of the passage.

I think these are good suggestions, and I'm going to try this method. I want to highten the focus of step four, and change the question slightly. I believe the reason we're here right now is because of the great controversy, and I believe the great controversy is about God's character and government. Jesus came to show us the Father's character so I want the question to be "What is the picture of God in this passage?" We have to know that we love Him, and we learn that by finding a picture of Someone loving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home